Government, society, politics, and media.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The republicans are wrong on gay marriage

Today, the republican party officially released its 2008 platform. This document describes in detail what the party is for and against, and which solutions and policies it supports.

The document includes support for a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, in opposition to senator McCain's viewpoint.

McCain does not believe in banning gay marriage on a federal level. McCain believes that the issue of gay marriage should be a states issue. According to McCain, it should be up to each individual state to decide whether or not they will adopt legal gay marriage. McCain promises to elect judges who will recognize the right of the states to decide on this issue.

Washington Times link

(Opinion alert)

I cannot say this strongly enough: THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IS WRONG!

John McCain's viewpoint on gay marriage is the right one. Banning gay marriage is NOT a conservative way of going about things!

Obviously, there are some parts of the country that want gay marriage to be legal, and some parts that do not. The people who want it to be legal are not the majority, but since legalizing gay marriage is not a violation of anybody's basic civil rights it should be legal for states to adopt it if they want to.

This is the way conservative government works: if there is an undecided issue, we let the states decide what they think. We do not go creating laws and restrictions, modifying the constitution, and banning something just because we think it is icky!!

COME ON REPUBLICANS! GROW UP!

Also, it is stupid of the republican party to draft a platform which is in such disagreement with what their candidate wants. John McCain won the primaries for a reason--because more republicans wanted him than anyone else. Why draft a platform which may force him to flip-flop and change his views under political pressure? That is insanity!

I hope that John McCain will stand his ground and keep his current policy on gay marriage.

I am reading that there are other splinters between John McCain and this republican platform. However, gay marriage came to my attention first. Being a life-long theatre geek, I have lots of gay friends. So, these things tend to percolate their way to my ears. One of my gay friends called me and told me that he had heard that the republican party put a ban on gay marriage in its platform. I was very embarrassed when I found out that he was right, after arguing to him for fifteen minutes that this was not McCain's viewpoint.

Please, McCain, please! Don't let those scared fools on the platform commitee turn you around!

No comments:

About Me

I find it's best to avoid filling in these "about me" things. You never know who's watching. And anyway, how would I decide which of my many personalities to portray? I wouldn't want to anger any of them. I WILL HARNESS THE POWER OF THE GOOGLE BLOGGINGS. Quiet, Pavlo. The point is that these things are dangerous. If I'm not careful, I could come across as a weirdo. Or boring. Also, I believe that every photo of me steals a little bit of my soul, so no profile picture.