Government, society, politics, and media.

Friday, October 3, 2008

Follow Up: Debate 1 Analysis

A few days ago, I posted some approximate statistics and some factual generalizations about the first presidential debate. After receiving some feedback on the reliability of my statistics, I decided to improve the experiment and do it again. (Original post here)

So, I programmed a debate tracking tool. Although the tool is still in its infancy (and quite buggy), it works. It allows me to generate verifiable statistics regarding any debate. I now have a set of verifiable statistics to back up some of my original statistics.

Verifiable debate 1 statistics

In fact, I am so happy with how the tracker works, I will be repeating this exact experiment once again to guarantee accuracy. I encourage you to do it as well! Watch the same YouTube video that I did and track the same statistics. Please!

To wrap it up, this experiment verified the following generalizations:
  • McCain talked about his own record about twice as much as Obama talked about his own record.

  • McCain talked about Obama's record more than Obama talked about McCain's record.

  • Obama mentioned George Bush seven times more than John McCain did.

  • McCain talked more about his own record than he did Obama's record. Obama talked more about McCain's record than he did his own record.
Again, I will be re-verifying these same three statistics using my tracker. You may think I'm obsessive. You're right. I am obsessed because it makes me very, very mad when people blame fact on inaccurate statistics. It makes me mad, for example, when people tell me that I am not right about Obama focusing on Bush and blathering more than John McCain rather than making actual references. The only 'proof' that they have is that I am not an objective observer, so my statistics must be made up.

In your face.

No comments:

About Me

I find it's best to avoid filling in these "about me" things. You never know who's watching. And anyway, how would I decide which of my many personalities to portray? I wouldn't want to anger any of them. I WILL HARNESS THE POWER OF THE GOOGLE BLOGGINGS. Quiet, Pavlo. The point is that these things are dangerous. If I'm not careful, I could come across as a weirdo. Or boring. Also, I believe that every photo of me steals a little bit of my soul, so no profile picture.