Government, society, politics, and media.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Nice Ice

I've started to do some research regarding the ice storms that hit Western Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire. Both Governors Deval Patrick of Massachusetts and John Lynch of New Hampshire have declared states of emergency and deployed the National Guard.

To begin, I'd like to commend the leadership of my governor, Deval Patrick, during this catastrophic storm. As is documented in the news video below, Patrick was on the scene today assessing the situation first hand. It is obvious that he has a good understanding of the needs of the area and is addressing them. Would Mitt Romney have trekked out there all the way to Fitchburg for the afternoon? You can decide that for yourself.





That said, I am upset that Deval Patrick will be asking for federal funding to aid with the storm clean up. The last newscast I saw reported that the total for the cleanup could be seven million dollars. Does the governor of Taxachusetts really need to go begging to our broke federal government for a few million dollars? I haven't heard any reports yet that tax-free New Hampshire will be picking Uncle Sam's pockets.

I am going to keep an eye out for this. It won't surprise me if New Hampshire doesn't seek federal funding at all. Still think Massachusetts needs income tax?

No comments:

About Me

I find it's best to avoid filling in these "about me" things. You never know who's watching. And anyway, how would I decide which of my many personalities to portray? I wouldn't want to anger any of them. I WILL HARNESS THE POWER OF THE GOOGLE BLOGGINGS. Quiet, Pavlo. The point is that these things are dangerous. If I'm not careful, I could come across as a weirdo. Or boring. Also, I believe that every photo of me steals a little bit of my soul, so no profile picture.