Government, society, politics, and media.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Change #1: Reversal on ethics promise

(Opinion alert)

I decided I would keep track of a few of the "changes" that will be happening during the next four years. I put "changes" in quotes not because I don't think the Obama administration won't make any good changes, but because I think many of the changes will really just be continuations of traditional Washington policies. Obama is so much more like Bush than most people realize.

One such traditional Washington policy is appointing cabinet members who are highly-paid members of the industries they will be overseeing.

(Fact time)

Although no cabinet pick has been officially confirmed as of yet, Obama officials have confirmed that Tom Daschle will act as secretary of health and human services.

According to the New York Times, Daschle has been a board member of Mayo Clinic, a large health care provider, for four years. The Mayo Clinic recieves research grants from the federally-owned National Institute of Health.

Daschle has also been working as a lobbying advisor to large health care clients of the lobbying firm Alston & Bird. The firm has lobbied on issues ranging from Medicare reimbursements to drug approvals.

One of Barack Obama's campaign promises included this exact phrase:
No political appointees in an Obama administration will be permitted to work on regulations or contracts directly and substantially related to their prior employer for two years.
This was part of a general promise to not appoint individuals who have a conflict of interest.

(Opinion alert)

It is undeniable: if Tom Daschle is appointed secretary of health and human services it will represent a conflict of interest and a reversal by the Obama administration on this promise. Daschle would be unable to do his job effectively without working on regulations or contracts related to Mayo Clinic or any health care company that he worked with at Alston & Bird.

No comments:

About Me

I find it's best to avoid filling in these "about me" things. You never know who's watching. And anyway, how would I decide which of my many personalities to portray? I wouldn't want to anger any of them. I WILL HARNESS THE POWER OF THE GOOGLE BLOGGINGS. Quiet, Pavlo. The point is that these things are dangerous. If I'm not careful, I could come across as a weirdo. Or boring. Also, I believe that every photo of me steals a little bit of my soul, so no profile picture.